Wednesday, March 4

March 2, 2009


Welcome to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay. I took a high-speed ferry across the Rio de la Plata to see the buildings and cobblestone streets of the town's historic quarter (barrio historico) that were declared a UNESCO hertiage sight in 1995. The town was cute and picturesque, but the real highlight of the trip for me was renting a bike for the day -- leaving only payment with its owner, no collateral or liability forms! -- and biking up Route 1 to the Bodega Bernardi Vineyard and back. I shared the road with cars, trucks, mopeds, scooters, other bicyclists, even the occasional horse and wagon. I have a lot of photos from the day, but I thought this one captured the sense of place best: old but with some aspects of modernity, unhurried but purposeful, and welcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment