Sunday, February 8

February 8, 2009


A few months ago, I commented in my photography class that it felt like half of photography was luck. You just happen to be in the right place and click the shutter at exactly the right time and boom! you get a great photo. Yes, you have to know how to set the right exposure and frame it, but with the right opportunity, anyone can get great results. My instructor didn't disagree, but he also made a good point: it may feel like that sometimes, but it's amazing how often it's the good photographers who get the incredible shots. They see more of the world around them, pay attention to the details, and learn to anticipate these so-called "lucky" opportunities.

His comment stuck with me, and I now make the effort to see beyond the banalities of everyday life that tend to eclipse the interesting details. Today's observation was of a sprinkling mini Dots candies on the ground in a parking lot island. They made me laugh -- was someone practicing for Easter? Or experimenting with new fertilizer techniques?

No comments:

Post a Comment